The VSCC heralded the end to the Hill Climb season with their ever popular Loton Park event. Set within the confines of the Estate’s picturesque deer park, the 1475 yards course is a great challenge for car and machine. Competitors had two practice runs on Saturday and two timed runs towards competition on Sunday. The highlight for many was Saturday evening’s traditional Hog Roast organised by the loyal band of local members; with ale aplenty and onsite camping available, the event is truly one of the most social on the calendar.
The forecast for the weekend was dry on Saturday, wet and windy on Sunday and the weather lived up to the forecast.
Five Morgan Three Wheelers were entered in three different classes:
- Rob Pike: Class 2 Standard and Modified Sports Cars 751-1100cc Unsupercharged and up to 750cc Supercharged
- Hannah Enticknap: Class 13 Pre 1941 Racing Cars up to 1100cc
- Sue Darbyshire, Alistair Rew and Iain Stewart: Class 14 Pre 1941 Racing Cars 1101-1500cc
The Sunday runs reflect Alistair’s cautious approach in the wet……not wanting to bend it. “Happy to celebrate getting to the top in one piece and enjoying the excellent company.”
Here’s what the hill looks like (click on the map to enlarge):
Our “Club Photographer”, Dennis Rushton, was away for the weekend so the photos are from Steve Uprichard. Steve was only at Loton on Saturday and the photos are from the practice runs. Apologies to Rob Pike who practised too early for Steve to get a photo. However, Rob made up for this by uploading two videos to YouTube:
There are also some excellent photos on Flickr. Our thanks to William Hearne for the link and New Zealander Alistair Robinson who took the photos. Please note, the photos are in reverse sequence so to watch the action, scroll backwards. To see the photos, click on the competitor’s name:
- Hannah Enticknap and more Hannah Enticknap
- Iain Stewart’s pirouette and more Iain Stewart
- Sue Darbyshire and more Sue Darbyshire
- Alistair Rew and more Alistair Rew
- Rob Pike – He’s hanging on to his offside wing at this point. You’ll see it above the bonnet.
- Pete Enticknap in the paddock
- Tailpiece. Chris Williams smokescreen.
Rob Pikes videos from YouTube:
|Rob’s first run, complete with flapping front wing. Click the YouTube logo|
|Rob’s second run. Click the YouTube logo|
The (Provisional) Results