Words mainly from Bob Barlow:

Our regular nucleus of campers attended, travelling by a variety of routes to arrive late Friday afternoon and set up camp in our reserved field. This year, ten three wheeler Morgans plus one with an extra wheel, came to enjoy the delights that are unique to the Lake District. Amongst the campers were three who came to the first meeting back in the 1960’s, with two of them being in the same Morgans: Dick Fripp, TD Green and Chas Reynolds. Chas was on two wheels of Honda 90 “step through”. Dick trailered his Morgan, mainly because of the distance involved from Cheddar in Somerset. In the evening, eighteen revellers met in The Fish Inn to partake of food and drink.

On Saturday morning, Steve Uprichard led the way to Cockermouth, picking up his brother-in-law John, who acted as navigator for the day. From Cockermouth, a most scenic and hilly route was taken to Hesket Newmarket for lunch. Not all plain sailing as TD’s Morgan developed a nasty squeak and loss of braking effort. Inspection showed no apparent problems so the journey resumed. Hesket Newmarket is normally a quiet village and the villagers own the local brew pub which serves great beer and good food. After a leisurely lunch, a less tortuous route home was chosen with TD’s brakes in mind. At this point Roy and Angela Summerscales bade farewell and set off to a pre-arranged “do” in Lymm, Cheshire. Back at camp, corks were firing from bottles of bubbly so that we could toast Chas and Lesley’s 45th wedding anniversary, a good start to the evening’s revelries. We were joined in The Fish by local members Stuart and Judith Moore from the Eden Valley area. Maybe next year they’ll be in their Morgan?

Sunday early morning was ablaze with sunshine. TD and Neil Blair crawled out of their tents and blinked at the sunlight, tummies grumbling and awaiting breakfast. Another Bibby breakfast bonanza, cooked by Mike Kyle’s grandson, Alistair was enjoyed by the campers. Most folk wandered home on Sunday but Dick and Sue stayed on to make the most of the weekend. For Bob Barlow, a quick repair to a broken flying wire, spotted by Chas, then off home over Newlands Pass, into the sun and onwards to Keswick and home. Everyone else apparently had trouble-free journeys.

Buttermere has a year to recover before our next camp.

Photos from Dick Fripp, Bob Barlow, Lesley Reynolds, Steve Uprichard. Click on the gallery to see the photos and read all about them.

Lakes Camping Weekend June 2014